Screen time affects

     The two articles are comparing the usage of phones to how generation Z (igen) is doing as a whole. Twenge states that “Teens who spend more time than average on screen activities are more likely to be unhappy, and those who spend more time than average on non screen activities are more likely to be happy.” (Twenge). She is making the statement that phones are ruining this generation's mental health, physical health, and happiness. I think her data should be a bit stronger here with more evidence and actual data to back the argument made here. Cavanagh makes the argument against Twenge saying that her data is vague and that the technology isn't actually ruining the children, it is just a different time. She says that Twenge cherry picked her data to back her argument and that as a whole it is very one sided. Personally I do believe that our screen time as a whole society is probably too much but it is not necessarily ruining us. I think that many of us aren't necessarily addicted to our phones, it has just become a vital part of our world as a whole. All communication for the most part happens over text, or email. Without our phones we wouldn't have the ready information for us in a quick changing world. Most of our school, or work things can be found on our phones and we stay connected to the world around us through our phones. Because of the way that my life is set up currently, leaving my phone in a drawer all day wouldn’t work. I am responsible for a business, and I coach a softball team and I'm not home very often so my phone is how I communicate with my family. I don't think I would miss its presents, rather just be stressed out if I am missing something important and not being able to get back to people. I will admit that I do use social media to fill a lot of my down time and I often get sucked into scrolling, but I am able to control it and get things done as well as interact with people face to face. I think that we can learn that, like all things, phones should be used in moderation and we should be aware of our screen time, and our children's screen time and try to have a healthy mix of our phones and the real world around us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Deep Dive into Station Eleven

Reading Journal for Station Eleven